Tempurpedic is a bedding manufacturer that has been in the market for over a long time now and actually created the idea of a memory foam mattress. Purple, on the other hand is new in the market and is gaining attention with its unique gel grid layer. As this new company is becoming popular, people are wondering how these two companies compare to one and other and which is perfect for majority of the users.
To give you a quick idea, let’s go through the key similarities and differences among the brands.
- Both are great at providing pressure relief
- Both companies do not compromise on quality and use durable materials
- Both have good motion isolation and are popular among couples.
- Tempurpedic has a huge variety of mattresses while purple just has one.
- Purple is less expensive than all models of tempurpedic.
- Purple mattress is more bouncy, while all the models of tempurpedic have a memory foam feel which is slow moving
- Purple mattress is 9.5” long
- Cover is of thin layer which consists of viscose, polyester and lycra. All are soft.
- Comfort layer is of 2” hyper-elastic polymer smart grid.
- Below is a 3.5 inch plush comfort foam.
- Transition layer directly under the comfort layer is 4 inch of polyfoam
The Tempurpedic mattresses are of 11 types. These consists of a polyester cover, core made up of high density polyfoam, and a memory foam comfort layer. But mostly they vary in thickness and firmness. Let us take a look them.
- Thickness is 11.5 to 13.5
- Firmness level of 3(soft)
- Thickness measures from 12.5 to 13.5
- Firmness level of 7.
Grand Bed Series
- Cover is designed with silk and cashmere
- Thickness is around 15” so it’s thicker than the other.
Instead of going through each model of tempurpedic and talking about each layer of each model, we have decided to just quote the main differences between purple and tempurpedic to help you make an easy decision.
The key to tempurpedic is the comfort layer. Every model of tempurpedic has a comfort layer which consists of a memory foam. Even though all the models have different firmness level, all have this slow moving memory foam feel in them.
This comfort layer of the tempurpedic is very different from that of the purple mattress. The purple mattress has hyper-elastic polymer gel layer. This layer has a combination feel of both firmness and pressure relief. The mattress remains firm until a certain degree of pressure is applied and then eventually it collapses. This makes the mattress very responsive, which is not a property of the slow moving tempurpedic memory foam.
Firmness varies from person to person. Some mattress might be fine for you but will be too firm for others. Instead of depending only on uncertain terms like ‘plush’ we interpret mattresses on a scale of 1 to 10. On this scale 1 refers to the softest mattress and 10 is the hardest. The majority of the mattresses lie between 4-7 and are medium firm, but there are variety of options available that do not fall within that range.
The original purple is applicable only in medium firm, falling between 6-7 on firmness scale. This mattress is found to be comfortable for a huge number of sleepers and it also satisfies people who want something firmer or softer. On the other hand, tempur-pedic provides a wide range of mattresses with different firmness. So you can easily choose mattress which you think is best for you.
Even though the customer ratings are high for both tempur bed and purple mattress, there are some ways in which the sleep experience is distinct in both the mattress. Below we describe various important factors to consider, that impacts your sleep experience.
The purple mattress is way better than tempur-pedic mattress in terms of temperature control. Its grid layer help in getting rid of hotness provided by the body. This is further aided by the resilience of the mattress which keeps the air moving in the mattress and helps get rid of it.
The memory foam of the tempurpedic has issues with heat regulation. The memory foam has the ability to capture heat over-night which causes the user to sleep hot. Further, the sink it cause makes it hard for the heat to dissipate out which further exacerbate overheating issues.
But still, to attract users, the tempur mattress have modified their recent mattresses to help the user sleep cool. Even then purple mattress is a far better choice.
It is no doubt the goal of every mattress company to provide least amount of motion transfer from one part of the bed to the other. So far, Tempur and its models exceeds most of the bedding company in providing this comfort. The hug of this mattress restricts motion of one partner to travel to the side of the other partner.
The purple mattresses are also very good at controlling motion transfer but since the mattress provide a high degree of bounce, it means that more motion is felt in these beds when compared to the models of tempurpedic.
To get rid of the discomfort, it is really important that your spine is in its proper alignment. For this, a mattress must be fully responsive. This means that it should provide cushioning effect to important parts of the body like hips, shoulders and abdomen.
The tempur bed are most responsive, mainly due to the presence of memory foam. The memory foam is designed to contour important body parts, relieve pressure and provide them remarkable support. Shoppers will find it very difficult to buy a more responsive bed than tempurpedic.
On the other hand, the hyper-elastic layer of purple mattress perfectly provides the cushioning effect to the body and gives it a tight hug.
Both the mattress have one issue that their comfort layer is a bit thin to provide support to heavy sleepers. So heavy sleepers may complain of pushing down to the base layer (transition layer), giving it to much pressure.
Resilience and Bounce
Bounce is required in all the mattresses as it prevents the feeling of being stuck in the bed. This helps the users roll on bed and is perfect for people who tend to change positions at night. On the other hand, resilience is a quality which means the capability of the mattress to return to its original size and shape after the removal of weight.
As mentioned before, the purple mattress has more bounce and resilience than the tempur beds. This is directly related to its grid layer. The memory foam layer of the tempur models is slow reacting and takes time to return to its shape. Even the the tempur flex is more bouncy than the cloud series, it is still very less than the bounce provided by the purple mattress.
The only mattress which provides countable degree of edge support is the tempurpedic flex mattress when considering both purple and other models of tempurpedic. Its supported core with pocketed coils helps in providing complete edge support, whether you lay down or sit on the edge.
Other models of the tempur have poor edge support as the foams have no other layer to give support at the edges.
Off-Gassing And Smell
Off gassing occur when small molecules are released from the mattress during unpacking of the mattress. It is not at all dangerous but can cause smell which is not bearable most of the times. This issue is with both the mattresses but it’s not a problem as the smell fades away very quickly when there is good ventilation.
Shipping, Trial, Warranty And Returns
Below we mention few important details regarding each company. Take a look at the table below.
|How Is It Shipped?||Bed In A Box||White-Glove Delivery|
|Old Mattress Removal?||No||Included With $25 Delivery Fee|
|Sleep Trial Length||100 Nights||90 Nights|
|Return Cost And Process||No Cost; Company Picks Up By Themselves||Customer Responsible For Return Shipping Cost|
|Warranty Length||10 Years||10 Years|
Pick The Purple If …
- You want a more resilient and bouncy feel. You like to remain on the top of the mattress throughout the night.
- You are searching for a temperature neutral mattress. The gel layer of the mattress helps the user sleep cool and do not trap hot air.
- You are looking for a combination of pressure relief and firmness all together. Its unique layer of gel is firm at first but tends to collapse eventually with weight. This helps in pressure relief.
- You are looking for a value mattress. Being an online only business, the company has more value than any of the tempurpedic models.
Pick The Tempurpedic If …
- You want to buy from a more reliable company. We all know that tempurpedic has been in the market for quite a long time now so its reliability cannot be challenged. On the other hand purple is new to the market, still reliable but not as much established as tempurpedic.
- You want a perfect firmness. Purple is good for majority of the sleepers when it comes to firmness but if you are specific about the level of firmness you desire, then tempurpedic has a huge variety to choose from.
- If you consider memory foam feel over bounce. The slow moving memory foam is preferred by many users than the bounce of purple. So if you like to slowly sink into the mattress through the night then go for tempur beds.
Prices, Sizes And Value
Finally we will look at the prices of each size of the mattress of both the brands to help you make the final decision.
|Twin||N/A||$1,299 - $2,299|
|Twin XL||$699||$1,299 - $4,299|
|Full||$899||$1,649 - $3,649|
|Queen||$999||$1,799 - $4,799|
|King||$1,299||$2,499 - $8.599|
|California King||$1,299||$2,499 - $8.599|
The differences between these two mattresses are a lot. Majorly the difference lies in the feel of the mattress and the price. So by this comparison, you will be able to make the perfect choice of your bed.