As per reports, a person on an average spends one-third of his or her life sleeping. If one interprets this study, then we spend around one-third of our lives on our a mattress or bed. This obviously brings in lots of dust, dirt and even stains over it. With this soon, your mattress will pose some health issues to your and your loved ones apart from appearing dirty and filthy. Besides, it can even post some bad smells or offensive scents. However, you can get rid of the dirt and the filth by cleaning your mattress with the help of tools like Dyson Handheld Vacuum cleaner and other tools that are meant for mattress cleaning. In fact, you can consider the job of mattress cleaning in any lazy weekend as your DIY project to leverage your free time for any productive time, using the following steps, have a look:
Removing The Bedding Debris
There are several steps involved in removing the bedding debris, which is as under:
- Ventilate your room: First and foremost, you need to ventilate your room for obvious reasons. You are required to open all the windows and the doors before you start the mattress cleaning. Also, make sure you also open the windows found elsewhere at your residence. You can switch on your ACs to carry out the cross-ventilation. The whole idea is to get rid of the extra humidity or moisture inside your room. With the ventilation of the room, you can dry the mattress once you use the cleaners over it and thus get rid of the bad smells and the chemical odour
- Remove the bedding and the sheets: You should now strip the bedding and the sheets. Remember you need to remove everything from your mattress before you carry out the steps to clean your mattress. This is really vital as grime, dirt and filth that can gather over the sheets, mattress protectors, mattress liners and several other things that are often put over the top of the mattresses.
- Now carefully fold the sheets while you get rid of them so that no more dirt or dust doesn’t fall over the mattress. Now remove the mattress protectors which you have used to cover the same. Lastly, you need to take away the pieces of fabric, which can be detached.
- Vacuum your mattress: This is among the vital steps to carry to get rid of the debris, dust or dirt. Without carrying out the vacuum, you would find lots of dirt and debris seen over the mattress, which ends up undermining all your efforts to clean it. You can think of using the upholstery attachment with the vacuum.
- While carrying out the vacuum, make sure you systematically move forth and back both at the width and the lengthwise over your mattress till you complete the vacuuming of the entire thing. Make sure you also vacuum all the creative attachments, embroidery, indentations and crevices properly. Now, flip your mattress and then vacuum all the other side.
Deodorizing and Disinfecting
There are several steps attached to Deodorizing and Disinfecting, which are as under:
- Deodorizing with baking soda – For this, you can sprinkle the baking soda (or you choose any other deodorizer )over your mattress. Make sure you leave the baking soda to be for around 24 hours. Without actually deodorizing your mattress, these will retain the smells and thus will not be adequately cleaned. Never mind using the entire box of the baking soda for the mattress. The more is the baking soda sitting, the more it will be able to get rid of the odour and moisture content from your mattress.
- You can find a wide range of mattress deodorizer products both online and brick and mortar stores. You can get one to clean your mattress. All you need to do is to follow the directions as per given over the box of the product. If you are located in a dry climate, you need to allow the window open. If it is possible, do make the mattress over the sunlight.
- Vacuum the mattress again: Once you have used the deodorizer to sit on the mattress for the required amount of time (24 hours), you are supposed to vacuum the mattress again. Several upholstery tools along with a crevice attachment will help to get rid of the deodorizer. Once you are free from the deodorizing effects, you are required to vacuum the mattress once again. With the vacuuming of the mattress, you can get rid of the deodorizer, but at the same time of the smell along with the other debris as well. Lastly, you have to disinfect the mattress using popular products including Lysol spray for the same.
The dirt stains are not just unsightly but also remains the breeding ground for several bacteria along with posing several health issues. For the stubborn stains, the general upholstery cleaner can help to clean the mattresses. You need to do the same accordingly without oversaturating the mattress.
- Get rid of the urine stains- Urine is among the common the stains over mattresses, especially for those who have small children. It gives the nasty odour along with adding stains, which are difficult to remove. For this, you need to combine 3 T-Spoons of baking soda and eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide along with a half the T Spoon of dish soap. Now, you just have to dab the solution over the urine stain.
- Remove the blood stains: These may not be common as urine or other stains yet can be found over the mattresses. They may not have any odour but are difficult to remove. You can remove this with one-fourth cup of hydrogen peroxide in combination with the tablespoon over dish soap along with common salt. Now spread them together over the blood stain. Make sure you scape the residue of the stain with the help of a piece of plastic or kitchen knife.
- Vomit Stains – These are difficult to remove, thanks to the food and stomach acid content that makes it hard. You can get rid of them using ammonia or any liquid over your stain. However, while using ammonia, make sure you avoid using an excessive amount of ammonia.
So, when are you planning to clean your mattress? Find a Best Foam Mattress Zinus vs Lucid