Whether you want some fun and space-saving solution for your children’s bedding, or have some extra beds for inviting guests over, you know that bunk beds are the best idea. You can comfortably accommodate up to three people in a reduced space, and leave more room free for storage or other pieces of furniture. Bunk beds come in a variety of designs, so there is a model out there that perfectly suits your needs. And we are here to help you find it.
Shopping on a budget can be worrying, because you might think you won’t get any good products for a low price. However, there are some cheap bunk beds and mattresses out there that are safe, strong and great for your children.
In this article you will find detailed information on the Cheap Bunk Beds with Mattresses, so you can choose the best one for you.
What’s Important When Buying Bunk Beds on a Budget?
With a few exceptions, bunk beds are used for children’s bedding. And any parent knows that when it comes to kids, safety is fundamental. You want to rest assure that your children will be able to use their beds, play, pillow fight and do all that kid’s stuff, and the bed will be strong enough to take it.
You need to make sure your bunk bed is:
- Solid, so it can resist the vitality of your children;
- Durable, so it doesn’t wear out in time;
- Safe, so your children can sleep and play out of danger; and
- Appealing to the kids, so they can enjoy sleeping there and feel at home.
The best bunk beds are built taking all of this into consideration. Now, if you are on a budget, you might be concerned about the quality of the product you are buying. You want to give your children the best, of course. Good news is that, you can find cheap bunk beds that cover all the aspects mentioned above.
But What About Mattresses?
Something that you need to know is that bunk beds are very rarely sold with a mattress. They do have specifications on which mattress fits their size, but you have to buy it separately. Just as it happens with beds, choosing a mattress for your children is worth some thought. If you pick the wrong mattress, the quality of sleep of your children could be affected. So, let’s address this issue too, and recap what you need to bear in mind to find the best mattress.
Studies show that your children’s quality of sleep will have a critical impact not only on their physical and mental health, but also on their growth and their performance in school and sports. Giving them a good mattress to sleep on is fundamental. You should make sure their mattress has the right:
- Firmness, so it provides proper support to their backbone;
- Thickness, because a mattress that is too thick could cause safety hazards;
- Breathability, to make sure your child has a comfortable sleep at the right temperature; and
- Protection against allergies and microbes, because some materials are more allergenic and hold more microbes than others.
Our Top Picks of Bunk Beds With Mattresses
You have to be smart when shopping on a budget. In order to help you find the perfect set of bunk beds and mattresses, we have reviewed the top selling and top rated, budget friendly items available. We have listed them, highlighting their pros and cons, and detailing all the information you need to make the best choice. Also, we have taken the time to not only review each item separately, but also pair them in the best combination possible. Now you can get two things done at once, and buy the best bunk bed and mattress for your needs.
- Patent pending Quick Lock Easy Assembly in under an hour
- Strong steel support with no box spring needed
- Convenient and compact packaging allows FedEx/UPS shipping
- Children under 6 years old should not be allowed on upper bunk
- Mattresses sold separately
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly, high-quality, practical and durable bed, then this is the one for you. This model is the top-rated bunk bed under $200 and for good reason. Many happy parents are enjoying this great bed, because it combines all important features with fantastic balance.
For starters, the solid metal framework is made of durable steel, so you can rest assure it will last for years until your kids grow up. Also, because of its materials, it can be that strong and still weight under 100 lbs. It features a top twin bed and a bottom full bed for your older child or for a guest. It is also very easy to put together by yourself; its exclusive quick lock assembly system allows you to have it ready to use in under an hour. Complete instructions are included.
You can’t go wrong with this fantastic bunk bed. That’s why it’s our top choice: durability, safety and convenience at an affordable price. Now let’s quickly recap this bed’s features.
- Quick and easy assembly in under an hour.
- No box spring needed for the mattress.
- Easy to ship.
- Bottom full bed for more comfortable bedding.
- Guard rails and four-step ladder.
- Cannot be turned into two beds.
- Cannot choose the position of the ladder.
- Heavy gauge tempered steel coils provide a firm mattress with exceptional support and durability...
- Fire resistant barrier meets flammability standards and helps keep your loved ones safe while they...
- Quilted fabric cover and foam layer offers a layer of top cushioning for increased comfort
- Mattress comes compressed and rolled for shipping and setup so easy your kids can help
- Backed by a 10 year warranty against manufacturer defects
Since all these bunk beds come without a mattress, you have to buy it separately. People who bought our featured Zinus bunk bed prefer this Linenspa mattress as the perfect complement.
Linenspa is one of the top-rated mattress brands in Amazon, and thousands of people confirm their great quality and fantastic pricing. This mattress in particular is the perfect fit for the bed. It comes in both twin and full size, so you can buy one of each and get them shipped at the same time to your home. Also, the 6” thickness is ideal for the dimensions of the bed. A thicker mattress will leave a gap too short between the top of the bed and the guard rails, making it dangerous for your children.
Finally, since it is an innerspring mattress, it is exactly the type recommended for this bed, because of the support slats that the bed features.
- Great quality and fantastic reviews.
- Innersprings are ideal for this bunk bed.
- A layer of foam is quilted on top of the mattress for more comfort.
- Fire resistant layer protects your kids from fire hazards.
- Easy shipping.
- 10-year warranty.
- Innersprings are sometimes uncomfortable for adults, bear this in mind if you have older kids that will grow up soon.
- Steel construction with powder coat finish
- Supports slats included, no box springs needed
- Separates into two twin beds
- Ladder can be attached to either end
- Ships ready-to-assemble with step-by-step instructions
This is a great metal bunk bed, so much so that it almost made it to the number one spot. The Walker Edison model and the Zinus model are fantastic beds with great reviews and tons of good features, and if a full-size bed isn’t what you are looking for, then Walker Edison has what you need. This model has been spotlighted as Amazon’s Choice, which only distinguishes the best reviewed products in the site.
So, let’s talk about the bed. This is a twin over twin model with a solid metal framework and very clean lines. It’s so strong that the maximum weight for each bed is an astounding 250 lbs. each, which means adults can sleep here as well as children; and regardless, the whole bed weights just 100 lbs. itself.
Other great features include the possibility of easily turning it into two separate beds, which is great for when the siblings grow up and want more space or even different rooms. Also, you can detach the ladder and choose which side it goes.
This bed is a great choice for your children’s bedding or your guests. Even if the model itself is often above $200, you can find special offers for the black model that are cheaper, and you still enjoy this product’s quality and durability.
- Durable and resistant steel frame.
- Support slats included.
- Easy assembly with complete instructions.
- Guard rails and four step ladders.
- Can choose the position of the ladder.
- Can separate into two twin beds.
- Can support the weight of adults.
- Only accommodates two people.
- 8 Inch hybrid mattress combines memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress...
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed and shipped in a box for convenient...
- Available in a medium firm 8 inch profile, a medium 10 inch profile, or a plush 12 inch profile that...
- Packaging process may leave small brown flecks called carbons in the mattress packaging; these...
One of the things you might notice as soon as you assemble the Walter Edison bunk bed, is that the rails are higher than usual. This is great, not only because it makes the top bed safer for your children, but also because it allows a thicker mattress. 8” mattresses are great for back support and very comfortable, but too thick for most bunk beds. In this case, you should take the opportunity and buy this fantastic twin-sized 8” hybrid mattress! Your kids will love it.
It features a 6” bottom layer of innersprings, plus a quilted top layer of foam and memory foam that will give the little ones the best sleep of their life. Memory foam adapts to the shape of their body, providing ideal support for their spine, regardless of the position they sleep in.
Plus, this great mattress comes with a 10-year warranty and is shipped to your doorstep using special technology that allows it to be compressed and delivered in a small box. It’s as convenient as it gets!
- Thicker mattress for more comfort and durability.
- Delivered in a small box that you can carry.
- Hybrid design with innersprings for support and memory foam for comfort.
- 10-year warranty.
- Due to its high quality and technology, is more expensive than other similar mattresses.
- SMALL SPACE APPROVED | Add a modern flair and a playful vibe in any room with this bunk bed that...
- 2-in-1 | Sleek, space-saving design that accommodates two twin mattresses (sold separately)
- DURABLE METAL FRAME | Sturdy and durable metal frame provides proper seating support and comfort....
- EASY TO HANDLE |Ships in one convenient box and is simple to assemble
- WEIGHT LIMITS |Upper bunk bed: 200lb. Bottom bunk bed: 225lb
If you want to find a good twin sized bunk bed but budget is really sensitive for you, then this is the one you should consider first. Among the most affordable top-rated bunk beds out there, the DHP Twin-over-Twin model has also been selected for Amazon’s Choice as one of your best options. The DHP Twin-over-Twin features a solid steel framework with nice curve lines and is designed with safety in mind. It has guard rails on the top bed as well as a slanted ladder, which is safer than the vertical ladder that most bunk beds have.
This bunk bed helps you save a lot of space and a lot of money with its compact design, and you can choose between black or silver finishing.
- Most affordable top-rated bunk bed.
- Solid steel framework.
- Guard rails and slanted ladder.
- One-box shipping.
- Can choose between black or silver finishing.
- Cannot convert into two twin beds.
- Cannot choose the position of the ladder.
- Bars might bend or shake if recommended weight limit is surpassed.
- One 1.5" layer of Memory Foam on top followed by a 4.5" layer of high density foam, the Memory Foam...
- Foam in this mattress is made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP ("Tris") flame retardants, ozone...
- Ideal as a bunk bed mattress, daybed mattress and trundle mattress
- Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, and Queen size. This mattress has a soft, knit fabric cover....
- Product dimensions: 75"L x 39"W x 6"H. Net weight: 19 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 41"L x 11"W x 11"H....
This is a great bed if you are on a budget, but even if the quality and durability are fantastic for the price, truth is the structure can be a little shaky, especially if your kids like to move a lot. The structure is safe and it won’t fall apart, but in order to provide a better night of rest for your children, your best option is to find a mattress that absorbs movement and vibration.
Memory foam is the perfect material for this. It can adapt to movement and prevent the bed’s structure from shaking, allowing the other sleeper to enjoy a peaceful rest. This 6” mattress by Signature Sleep is one of the best. Over 5,000 customers on Amazon rated it on the site, placing it among the most reviewed mattresses.
Memory foam is also great for providing a good rest to your child’s spine, so you can forget about back pain or contractures due to poor sleeping position. This mattress also includes soft, breathable cover to improve the sleep of your children.
- Memory foam top layer.
- Shipped compressed in a small box.
- Uses CertiPUR-US certified, non-toxic memory foam.
- Absorbs vibration and movement for a comfortable sleep.
- After unpackaged, needs about 48 hours to decompress. Might release chemical odor.
- Easily converts to two stand-alone twin beds.
- Designed to accommodate a mattress without a box spring. Only coil spring mattresses are to be used...
- Bed support slats are included. Guardrails are included. Features a ladder that can be installed in...
- Top bunk is designed for children ranging from 6 years of age to young teenagers.
If steel beds are not your thing, then don’t worry! Here are two very affordable, high-quality wooden bunk beds that might be perfect for you. Let’s start with one of our favorites, the wooden Twin-over-Twin bunk bed by Mainstays.
You can enjoy the solidity and the warmth of painted pine wood with this bunk bed set, that you can easily transform into two separate twin beds. The clean design is timeless and fits basically any style of room, so you don’t have to worry about that if you want a bed to fit in a pre-existing bedroom.
This fantastic wooden bunk bed includes guard rails and a vertical ladder, as well as support slats, which means you won’t need to spend more money buying a box spring.
- Timeless, neutral wooden design.
- Solid and durable.
- Can be turned into two twin beds.
- Guard rails and ladder included.
- Support slats included.
- Cannot choose the position of the ladder.
- Some colors only available at a higher price.
- Steel Bonnell coils for support
- Set of two twin mattresses only, bunk bed frame sold separately
- Only the Highest Quality of Foam-Foam is CertiPUR - US Certified for durability, performance, and...
- Smartly Shipped - Our patented technology allows our mattresses to be efficiently compressed, rolled...
- Worry free 10 year limited warranty
When you are shopping on a budget, any way to save up on money without resigning quality is more than welcomed. One of the best ways to achieve this is finding product bundles. And that is exactly what we have here.
Zinus offers this pack of two 6” spring mattresses that are ideal for bunk beds. If you are buying the Mainstays bed, you will realize that it is more expensive than most beds featured here, so saving becomes even more important if this is your choice. That’s why the smartest option is to buy this special bundle for bunk beds.
Not only do these mattresses have the right size and the right thickness for bunk beds, but also, they are spring mattresses, which are perfect for this model. Manufacturers of this bed recommend that spring mattresses are used with their beds featuring support slats and no box springs.
- Buying a bundle saves you money.
- Spring mattress is ideal for support slats of this bunk bed.
- Featured as Amazon’s choice on the Amazon website.
- Easy shipping with compression technology.
- 10-year warranty.
- Springs could make it uncomfortable for older teens or adults to use this mattress.
- Combining unparalleled quality & timeless design for your child's bedroom & made from high-quality...
- Made from rubberwood, a naturally much denser, sturdier and more durable than the commonly used pine...
- This stylish bunk bed fits standard sized twin mattresses (sold separately) & includes a full sized...
- COMPLETE BEDROOM SOLUTION: Storkcraft manufactures products for the total infant, kid's, or teen...
Last but not least, this lovely bunk bed should be your choice if you’re looking for a durable, charming wooden piece that your kids will love at first sight. This Twin-over-Twin bunk bed features a beautiful and functional design and is available in different colors.
One of the things we love the most about this bed is that it’s not made out of pine wood, but of much sturdier and more solid rubberwood, so you can be sure this bed will stand the test of time. Your children will be free to play, hop and have fun on this bed and you will have the peace of mind of knowing the structure will resist.
A noteworthy detail is that this bed is also available in pink, so if you want to build an all-girly bedroom that your daughters will love, this is the bed that you should pick.
- Solid rubberwood structure.
- Support slats and slant ladder.
- Timeless design.
- Can be separated into two twin beds.
- Available in pink.
- Cannot choose the position of the ladder.
- Some colors might be available at a higher price.
- Conforming Green Tea Memory Foam comfort and pressure relieving support for a better night's sleep;...
- Mattress layers include: 1 inch memory foam, 5 inches airflow high density base support foam; Fabric...
- Foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content. Core Composition: 1 Inch...
- Infused with Green Tea extract and Castor Natural Seed Oil to naturally retard odor & bacteria; Twin...
- Smartly Shipped : Our patented technology allows our mattresses to be efficiently compressed, rolled...
Since this bed is the best combination of style and durability, it should be matched with a mattress that has those same qualities. Your best choice will be this Zinus memory mattress. The thin, 6” presentation is ideal for bunk beds. Remember that a thicker mattress could be unsafe for the top bed, since it would be too close to the top of the guard rails.
If you’re buying the pink version of this bed for your daughters, they will especially love this beautiful mattress. It features a layer of memory foam that makes it more comfortable for delicate bodies and varying sleeping positions, and feels much softer than a regular spring mattress.
Also, what makes this one special is that it is infused with green tea extract and natural castor seed oil, natural elements that fight bad smells and bacteria. Your girls will enjoy a comfy and safe rest every night!
- Memory foam layers make it more comfortable and provide better spine support.
- Green tea extract and natural castor seed oil protect the sleeping ones from odor and bacteria.
- Foam certified by CertiPUR-US, which proves the materials are durable and non-toxic.
- Shipped compressed in a small box. Once unpacked, it expands to its original size.
- It can take a few days for the mattress to fully decompress depending on environmental circumstances.
Here we have presented the best bunk beds and mattresses, offering a wide range of possibilities so you can see which is the best one. There are no better choices for a budget, and all of them are of certified quality and have positive reviews from customers. We aimed to make the search easier for you, because we know how tiring it can be to shop around and see dozens of products until you find the best ones.
Follow our advice and consider all relevant matters. You will find the best bunk beds and mattresses, and your children and/or guests will be more than happy with the results. Bunk beds are a great way to save up space and provide a fun and comfortable rest for your family.